This article will look at two of what I consider to be the key reasons behind the mass use and success of the coupon code.
- The first reason is the wearing down of customer reluctance to shop online:
- It seems that customers are no longer afraid of inputting their credit or debit card details online. There used to be a lot of reluctance to this method of shopping, and it is unclear to the exact reasons of the reluctance alleviating. It may be due to the customers finally taking notice of the accurate information that it is actually safer to shop online if certain rules are followed to ensure security. Or it might be due to the positives of internet shopping, such as the lower prices, the wider choice in variety and the convenience. The internet allows a customer to purchase something from almost anywhere on the globe. They can do this without leaving their office. Of course this is going to appeal to them. The reason more customers are choosing online shopping might be a combination of the two points: more secure, and a better shopping experience with more possibilities.
- The popularity of social media can certainly take some credit for the rise of internet shopping and the sharing of coupon codes. Social media has been responsible for making people more computer literate in general, and the more a person incorporates social media into their life the more comfortable they will be encompassing other elements of their daily life on their computer. Another reason social media is helpful is that, as mentioned, for the sharing of coupon codes. If someone posts a great coupon code on their Facebook page then it can travel to thousands of people within minutes.
- The second reason behind the success of the coupon code is the current economic climate:
- Even if we are arguably leaving the double dip recession, it will still be a long time before we return to days of prosperity. These things take time. Customers are more discerning than they usually are. Companies are desperate to keep their existing customers loyal and to attract new customers during these times more than any other. The repercussions of them not achieving these aims are basically going out of business. Companies really started to show their fragility during the recession, and very few companies are free from concerns such as these.
- If we leave the recession and things start to look good again then it is my belief that people will still be using the coupon code and the internet for their shopping. Customers become practiced to a certain way of shopping and if they are happy with internet shopping, and they have no reason to not be happy with it, then they are going to continue to use it. The reasons they came to internet shopping were not light ones; in the same manner, they will not reverse their decision lightly.